Mar 28, 2022
The Freight Marketplace with Dave
Maddox and Joe Lynch discuss
the freight marketplace. Dave is the VP of Enterprise Sales for
Emerge, one of the
fastest-growing startups in the U.S. and is transforming the $800
billion transportation and logistics industry with its digital
freight marketplace platform.
About Dave Maddox
Maddox has over 39 years of industry experience, Maddox
specializes in Supply Chain & Transportation Sales, with
operations management in distribution, supply chain cost
improvement and transportation. Currently at Emerge as Vice President,
Enterprise Sales. Maddox is responsible for engaging with shippers
offering tools that empower meaningful logistics relationships
through its award-winning Freight Procurement Platform. The Emerge
platform helps streamline the disjointed and cloudy procurement
landscape, bringing shippers and carriers together in one space to
create and build mutually beneficial relationships. Other past
employers that Maddox has worked for are nVision Global,
Transplace, National Freight, Inc., Hogan Transports, Heartland
Express, Ruan Transport Corporation, Lowe’s, Exel Logistics,
Mervyn’s and Foley’s.
Transforming the $800 billion freight
industry, Emerge empowers meaningful
logistics relationships through its award-winning Freight
Procurement Platform. Built by freight professionals for freight
professionals, Emerge is reinventing the procurement process by
offering solutions that enable shippers and carriers to make more
empowered, strategic decisions. In addition to the platform,
shippers can connect to the Emerge Marketplace which opens access
to 35,000 asset based carriers in order to create meaningful
freight connections. The world’s largest shippers and capacity
providers use the Emerge Freight Procurement Platform daily,
showing immediate ROI for procurement and saving valuable time in
the process. Founded in 2017, and located in Scottsdale, Arizona,
Emerge is one of the fastest-growing technology startups in the
Key Takeaways: The Freight Marketplace
Maddox is the VP of Enterprise Sales at Emerge, a flexible,
efficiency-driven RFP platform for freight.
- In the podcast interview, Joe and Dave discuss the freight
marketplace, which is the Emerge platform which was built for
freight professionals by freight professionals. The Emerge freight
platform connects shippers and carriers with an RFP platform built
especially for freight.
- Shipper problems:
- Shippers are experiencing unprecedented challenges including
supply chain disruptions, driver shortages, truck capacity
problems, high gas prices, price volatility, and port delays.
- They are also short-handed as the tight labor market makes
hiring very difficult.
- Many shippers are also struggling to manage their newly remote
- When it comes to managing freight RFPs, shippers lack
technology so they use the “mass emailing spreadsheet” process
which is cumbersome, inefficient, and ineffective.
- Because the freight RFP process is so difficult, most
- Carrier problems:
- Carriers often don’t have access to the lanes and shippers that
- Carriers also don’t like the freight RFP process because they
have difficulty predicting freight rates.
- Carriers want access to shippers of choice without a broker
adding a big margin.
- The Emerge Marketplace enables carriers to bid directly on
shipper contract and spot lanes and win business with shippers that
they typically wouldn’t have access to.
- The Emerge Marketplace offers shippers a free RFP platform
built to manage their spot and contract needs.
- Shippers choose from thousands of vetted carriers or invite
their current carriers and brokers, allowing them to source the
best partner for their freight.
- Emerge has created a technology platform that has streamlined
the freight RFP process and delivered the following benefits:
- Freed of the time consuming, clunky process, shippers and
carriers can spend more time discussing the freight characteristics
and getting to know each other.
- With the process streamlined, shippers are moving to quarterly
RFPs, which enables the carriers to deliver more competitive bids –
and live with them (no more paper rates).
- In addition to their incumbent carriers, shippers have access
to thousands of vetted carriers within the Emerge system.
- Emerge enables shippers to grow their partner network by
connecting to thousands of verified carriers and brokers to ensure
their loads are always covered.
- Carriers gain access and bid directly on exclusive contract and
spot lanes that they would not otherwise have access to. Emerge’s
network connects carriers with shippers of all sizes, providing
more opportunities for carriers to work in their preferred
Learn About The Freight Marketplace
The Emerge Story with Andrew Leto
Building a Freight Juggernaut Again with Michael Leto
The Freight RFP Process is Broken – Let’s Fix It with Maggie
Emerge Levels Up with Michael Leto
It’s Not the Market, It’s Your Procurement with Andrew
The Logistics of Logistics Podcast
- If you enjoy the podcast, please leave a positive review,
subscribe, and share it with your friends and colleagues.
- The Logistics of Logistics Podcast: Google, Apple, Castbox, Spotify, Stitcher, PlayerFM, Tunein, Podbean, Owltail, Libsyn, Overcast
out The Logistics of Logistics on Youtube