Apr 22, 2021
Way More Than Visibility with Adam
Compain and Joe Lynch discuss
way more than visibility. Adam Compain is the Founder & CEO of
ClearMetal, a software company that specializes in international
freight visibility, dynamic planning, and customer experience.
About Adam Compain
Compain is the Founder & CEO of ClearMetal. Adam founded the
company after spending time at OOCL, under the tutelage of their
CEO and CIO in Hong Kong. Prior to ClearMetal, Adam spent 5 years
at Google, launching the company’s latest GeoCommerce and Mobile
technology. And for 21 years, Adam has been the Executive Director
of the nonprofit he founded to export charitable goods from North
America. Adam has appeared on Bloomberg TV and on the cover of
American Shipper as “the changing face of ocean freight.” He holds
five technology patents, a dual-degree from the University of
Michigan, and an MBA from Stanford University.
ClearMetal is the
market leader in international freight visibility, dynamic planning
and customer experience. The ClearMetal 'Continuous Delivery
Experience’ (CDX) Platform uses proprietary machine learning to
break free from static-visibility paradigms and turn supply chains
from a cost center to a competitive advantage. ClearMetal was
founded by top software engineers, data scientists and operations
researchers from Stanford University, Google and Silicon Valley,
and is funded by Eclipse Ventures, Prelude Ventures, Innovation
Endeavors, NEA, SAP.io, Prologis Ventures, PSA Unboxed, DCLI and
the founders of GT Nexus, Navis and Uber Freight. ClearMetal is
based in San Francisco, CA.
Key Takeaways: Way More Than
- ClearMetal's three central premises:
- It's not about the metal; it's about the data.
- Need for better information to fulfill modern customer
- Value to finding the clean and accurate source of truth.
- Data and accuracy
- Even though data about location exists, in many cases, it lacks
- When managing international business freight, with many
touching points and parties involved, data that is accurate and
makes sense is pivotal.
- What does visibility entail?
- Visibility is about access and aggregation of a network of
- It's also about applying the proper techniques and approach to
make sense of the data with machine learning and data science-based
- International and global shipping is complex since it considers
vast distances, time zones, parties, language, systems, and
- Chips provide contextual information for additional and more
accurate data. But, it's not necessary. With data, customers access
the same information.
- End-to-end global shipment
- Machine learning and data science techniques to ensure better
quality and better predictability to make better decisions.
- Historial data to understand the likelihood of freight
- Predictability leads to reliability and transparency, which
- The correct data provides accurate guidance for reasonable
- How to use visibility to solve business
- With a fully-stocked network of data, businesses can to make
- Dynamic transport planning. Before anything is moving,
visibility allows a company to foresee through different scenarios
what the outcome could be.
- Predicational lead time and customer portal provide information
that clients value, which is used for sales and customer
- For a modern customer, there is nothing more important than
customer services within the supply chain.
What happens when machine learning meets ocean shipping?
What is CDX?
The Logistics of Logistics Podcast
- If you enjoy the podcast, please leave a positive review,
subscribe, and share it with your friends and colleagues.
- The Logistics of Logistics Podcast: Google, Apple, Castbox, Spotify, Stitcher, PlayerFM, Tunein, Podbean, Owltail, Libsyn, Overcast
out The Logistics of Logistics on Youtube