May 28, 2019
[00:21] Opening / Introduction
[00:41] Tell us about your company.
- I run a marketing firm called Email for Experts. We help
consulting and professional service firms create clients using
- I graduated from the University of Maryland in 2010. I worked
in engineering for about six years before moving into
[03:43] Tell us about the distinction of what I’m doing
in email marketing versus what you’re doing.
- I still do a good amount of what you’re doing, which is the
more traditional sense of email marketing. This involves having a
list of contacts and publishing a newsletter, or a sales offer that
you periodically send out.
- The other type of email marketing that we’re doing is instead
of already having permission to email a group of individuals, we
are prospecting and emailing people cold.
[05:59] How does somebody go about building their
credibility using email marketing?
- A lot of times when people think about using any marketing
channel to bring in new prospects, they’re thinking about the best
pitch to make. The problem is that everybody is pitching.
- You need to build an email marketing approach that is more
inline with how you would meet somebody at a conference.
- If you behave like a friendly human rather than thinking about
how you can blast your message out to thousands of people, you can
gain a competitive advantage.
[08:59] How does email marketing fill my
- The difficulty with prospecting in general is not only finding
a list of people who seem like they are decision makers in your
industry, but also making sure they are the most relevant for the
service that you provide.
- One of the best tools that I use is called Prospect.io along
with LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
- The nice thing about pretty much any software you’re using for
marketing these days is there’s usually a way to connect it to your
CRM. It’s pretty straightforward.
- Regardless of which tool you use, they all have the ability to
accelerate the process of finding targeted prospects.
[14:20] I know there’s people who are listening who are
saying they hate getting email marketing.
- I hate that too. I have the same types of messages in my spam
- Email is great because it’s where most people in the business
world spend most of their day. The downside is that so many people
know that and sometimes use it for nefarious purposes.
- The important thing is to reach out in a way that facilitates
conversation instead of just a hard pitch.
[17:53] Potentially, if you don’t start off on the right
foot, you can quickly become that guy in the spam folder that we
- It’s amazing what a little bit of targeting in your approach
and a little bit of forethought can do.
- Focus on the things that your target is typically thinking
about. This will make your prospect feel like you already know
something about them.
[20:29] You’ve picked a niche. If you were sending an
email out to everybody, you’d have to make your message broader,
which makes it less valuable.
- If you can identify something that differentiates you and your
business, that’s something that translates directly into your
[23:27] Talk about the ROI in email
- For what we’re talking about, the numbers are a little bit
different. We’re not selling a $100 product, but rather five or six
- There are a lot of different touch points that go into the
process, so it’s difficult to pin down the ROI of an email
outreach. It’s more like a piece of the overall puzzle.
[25:52] By building rapport, you’re building something
that is easy to sell from as opposed to starting the process
- You’re taking that initial window that you have to start a
sales conversation and extending it greatly.
- As long as they are in contact with you, you always have an
opportunity to be there when they move forward with a buying
[29:08] This way of email marketing is so targeted that
I think it’s better than traditional email
- You can work on building traffic to your website or the size of
your email list until the end of time, but you’ll never get close
to the numbers of some people.
- What you can do is start this outreach process. You don’t need
to have a giant list to see results.
Tom Miller on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-j-miller/
Email for Experts: https://emailforexperts.com/
Receive Daily Email about Email: https://emailforexperts.com/daily-email/
(plug-in for email prospecting)
LinkedIn Sales Navigator: https://business.linkedin.com/sales-solutions/sales-navigator