May 31, 2020
Avoiding Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt in Sales with Steve
Lynch discuss why avoiding fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the
sales process will help you close more deals. Fear, uncertainty,
and doubt in a buyer’s mind almost always kill the sale.
About Steve Elwell
a strategic and practical approach to the challenges of leadership
and business profitability. He is expert in the growth and
turnaround of small and medium manufacturing, logistics, and
technology businesses. He led the turnaround of 5 troubled
companies and started 2 new businesses. He successfully recruited
and led 6 sales forces, introduced dozens of new products, and
entered 10 new markets. As a retained executive search consultant,
he built C-suite leadership teams for clients in a variety of
industries. Steve earned a BA in Economics and Management and a
MBA. He lives with his family in suburban Detroit.
About Steve Elwell’s Work
helps business owners with challenged businesses increase
liquidity, improve sales, leadership, efficiency, and growth.
Business situations include turnaround, sales stagnation,
customer-market concentration, and rapid growth.
Key Takeaways – Avoiding Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt – Definitions and
- Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is the game behind the game.
FUD emotions will not be openly discussed, but they may kill your
- Fear is an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone
or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain or a threat.
- Uncertainty is the state of being uncertain. Also,
unpredictability, unreliability, riskiness, chanciness,
- Doubt is a feeling of uncertainty or lack of conviction –
uncertainty. Also, lack of certainty, unsureness, indecision,
hesitation, hesitancy, apprehension, suspicion, confusion,
insecurity, inhibition, uneasiness.
- Typically, FUD is caused by the mistakes made by the
salesperson. Inconsistences in the sales process like
miscommunication, unanswered emails, bad grammar or language, poor
presentation, inappropriate dress, late to meetings, outdated
websites, lack of social proof online like no LinkedIn
- Unforced errors cause FUD. Anything that might make the
prospect uncomfortable, potentially causes FUD.
- FUD is hard to overcome once it has been introduced, so it must
To Avoid Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) in Sales,
Demonstrate the 5 C’s
- Character – display integrity and high morals
in business and personal life.
- Competence – show your clients and prospects
that you can do your job effectively and efficiently. Become the
expert professional that they want to work with.
- Care – pay attention to the project, show your
customer that their project is important to you.
- Communication – Have your written and verbal
correspondence on-point and on-time.
- Connection – build a relationship, a bond with
your prospective client. Get on their wavelength and empathize with
The Number One Reason Why People Buy with Steve Elwell
Understanding the Buying Process with Steve Elwell
The Only 3 Ways to Improve Your Sales with Steve Elwell
Entering New Logistics Markets with Steve Elwell
The Logistics of Logistics Podcast
- If you enjoy the podcast, please leave a positive review,
subscribe, and share it with your friends and colleagues.
- The Logistics of Logistics Podcast: Google, Apple, Castbox, Spotify, Stitcher, PlayerFM, Tunein, Podbean, Owltail, Libsyn,